Edikang Ikong Soup is known to be one of the most nutritious soup, garnished with assorted meat &fish and fresh vegetables, this Efik recipe will keep you wanting more.
Edikang Ikong Soup
- Prep Time | Minutes
- 3 bunches of chopped pumpkin leaves (ugwu)
- 1 bunch of water leaves
- 3 cups beef/kpomo/shaki/goat meat
- 2 tablespoons crayfish
- 1/2 cup palm oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1 cup of periwinkles (optional)
- 2 Knorr cubes
- Add the meats and boil with salt, pepper, 2 Knorr cubes and half of an onion. Boil the meats separately because of different cooking times. Cook all meats until tender and there is little to no water left in the pot. 30-50mins.
- Once the water is dry, add the crayfish, pepper and palm oil and stir into the meat. If using periwinkles, add them at this time and stir. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the waterleaves/efo, stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin leaves (ugwu) and cook for 5 more minutes. Check for seasoning and add more salt if needed. Stir often so it does not get burned. Do not add water. The palm oil is the only liquid in this soup.
- Once ready serve with pounded yam, garri or semolina
Click here for more simple and delicious recipes.