Fifty years ago today, on December 8, 1966, the US and USSR signed a treaty banning the use or location of nuclear weapons in outer space.
1. There are more than 15,000 nuclear warheads in the world today.
3. An average nuclear weapon detonated over a city would instantly destroy everything within a 50-mile radius.
4. Eight countries have declared that they have nuclear weapons: US, Russia, UK, France, China, India, Pakistan and North Korea.
5. The US spends around $25billion (nearly £20bn) a year on nuclear weapons.
6. Nuclear weaponry has improved techniques for verifying the authenticity of paintings. If the paint contains certain isotopes, it is from after 1945.
7. Bikinis were so named because the designer wanted the revealing swimsuit to cause an explosive reaction akin to that on Bikini Atoll.
8. In 1955, the US exploded a nuclear bomb near some beer cans and bottles to see if the beer was drinkable after a nuclear explosion.
9. The project was called The Effect Of Nuclear Explosions On Commercially Packaged Beverages.
10. The beer was ruled safe but not very tasty.